Recently, I was asked by my dear friend Junior to do a mix for Record Breakin' Music. I'm honored to have known this cat for about a decade, and even more so to provide a few tunes that mean a lot to me. Inspired by David Adams' artwork for the Dali 7" (included here), I pulled out a few pieces from my personal collection that remind me of parks. As it goes, most of these tunes have gotten some serious play while people watching, meditating, and meeting good folk in large, green public spaces. There are some funky jawns, happy jawns, sad jawns, loud jawns, and quiet jawns, but all of these jawns are ones I hold near and dear, for one reason or another. No Logic and no reissues, just wax played at the tempo it was supposed to be enjoyed at.
I hope it moves you.
Gabriel Jermaine Vanlandingham-Dunn
1. The Metronomes "Green Dolphin Street"
2. Dionne Warwick "I Think You Need Love"
3. Nara Leão "Aleluia"
4. Sun Ra "Doors of the Cosmos"
6. Stanley Cowell "Spanish Dancers"
8. Elis Regina "Canto De Ossanha"
10. Terry Gibbs jawn I cant remember the name of...
12. (You cant have it...)
13. Esther Marrow "He Don't Appreciate It"
14. Duke Pearson "I Don't Care Who Knows It"
15. Kool G Rap & D.J. Polo "Erase Racism"
16. Dali "Fine Young Man"
17. Aretha Franklin "It Ain't Fair"
18. (Brasilian jawn you cant have... its real nice right???)
19. Pete Rock & CL Smooth "I Got a Love" (Remix Instrumental)
20. Roland Hanna "Prelude"
21. (you should already know this jawn...)
22. Joe Roland "I Cover the Waterfront"
23. (funky mathematic accordion jawn...)
24. Melvin Sparks "Akilah" (Dedicated to my homegirl Akili Moody)
25. (I still think this is a Dilla jawn... but I guess we will never know)